In LTL freight the volume of the shipment isn’t enough to fill the entire area of the truck or carrier. Freight between 150 lbs to 10,000 lbs is transported by LTL carriers. If your freight is above 10,000 lbs, you need to transport it by FTL carriers.
In LTL shipping, freight from multiple shippers is transported in the same freight container. Thus, LTL considered as a secure, quick and cost-saving alternative of FTL carriers.
Here we mentioned some guidelines which you should know before moving the shipment through LTL freight.
1. The first important task is to calculate the total weight of the freight and carefully examine its size and dimensions. Find out about your LTL freight class and NMFC (National Motor Freight Classification) number, which states the type of freight, is necessary to determine the shipping cost.
2. Search for a good LTL freight carrier in your town. You will get a long list of a logistics company to choose from.
3. Find the rate quote of selected logistics companies and compare the prices. Nowadays, most of the companies use standard freight rate quote application where you can submit the information about your freight and you will get an estimated price.
4. If you need any additional facility which does not cover by the standard freight shipping procedure, you are liable to pay ‘accessorial fees’ incurred by LTL carriers.
5. Prepare your freight as per the guideline of your LTL freight shipping company before the shipping date. The pick-up and delivery of the shipment should be time punctual as it is highly important in business. Thus, it is recommended to choose a logistics company with ample experience in LTL freight shipment like Tenaxx Logistics. Follow the LTL freight shipping guidelines when you are about to prepare your freight.
6. Ask the service provider company whether they provide shipment tracking service or not. Regardless if you want to ship freight across the country or outside the country, tracking service is a necessity.