The picking and packing process is an important part of the order fulfillment process. By optimizing the overall pick and pack system, you can streamline your order fulfillment, gain customer trust, and increase your business profits.
Here are given 5 ways to optimize the pick and pack process:
Utilize your Warehouse Space Effectively
The items should be placed according to the order requirement. By designing your warehouse for efficiently storing and picking of items, you can save the time it takes to gather items for your orders. The arrangement of items should be done carefully such as always place top-selling items near the packing stations, store items right next to each other which are commonly packed together.
Keep Your Warehouse Well-Ordered
By keeping your warehouse area clean and well ordered you can make pick and process easy and fast. Ensure that the items your packers staff needs for orders are arranged correctly around the workstation. Always place the items from receiving inventory in the same place to avoid wastage of time in searching for items.
Use WMS for Tracking Items
Use a warehouse management system (WMS) to keep the record of items that are listed in the order and to find them easily. By using advanced warehouse management software you can save lots of time in it takes in finding and keeping the record of the items for orders.
Try Different Order Picking Methods:
Try different order picking methods such as zone picking in which each order picker is assigned a particular zone and will do order picking within this zone only, or batch picking where the assigned picker picks multiple orders simultaneously.
Ensure your Inventory is Up To Date
An optimized pick and pack process always depend on the accurate inventory system. Always ensure that your inventory is up to date for easily keeping the records of the items and to track them easily. Check for items that are out of stock and place the orders of those items for avoiding delay in the order fulfillment process.
Your pick and pack process is only one important part of running a warehouse efficiently. With the help of up to date inventory management system, you can optimize your pick, pack, and shipping process and increase your business profits by maximizing warehouse productivity and gain customer trust.
If that’s what you want in your business, we are here to help you.
What is Cross Docking?
Cross-docking is an order fulfillment strategy where products from a supplier or manufacturing unit are shipped directly to a customer or retail chain without any need for mid storage of goods in the warehouse. It is a process of receiving products through an inbound dock and then transferring them across the dock to the outbound transportation dock. It consists of trucks and dock doors in inbound and outbound sides with minimal storage space. The process starts when inbound products are arrived through transportation such as trucks/trailers and are assigned to receiving dock on one side of the cross dock terminal. The goods are sorted and screened to identify their end destinations and moved to the other end of cross dock terminal with the help of a forklift, pallet truck, and any other transportation medium. After completing the loading of goods at the outbound dock, the products delivered to the end customers.
Major Risks Related to Cross Docking
1. Implementing the cross-docking strategy in the warehouse required capital investment. This can translate into a warehouse redesign to save space for a conditioning area and/or the adoption or designing of a warehouse management system to assist with cross-docking tasks.
2. Cross-docking fully relies on a team to transfer items from inbound to the outbound dock, organizations need to be trustworthy of their suppliers’ ability to deliver the right products in right condition on time to the cross-docking terminal.
3. A number of Transport Carriers needed to take full benefits of the cross-docking system. A sufficient number of transport carriers will be needed for the delivery of goods. Since the operation is mainly dependant on trucking, there is an increased cost, need for parking space for trucks in the warehouse, and need for enough docks to implement the system.
4. It requires time for proper planning and execution: without coordination between supply and demand and proper planning, cross-docking is not suggested in the warehouse. Therefore, in the global computation, cross-docking should save enough time to cover its application in operational planning.
Need Help with cross docking?
If you want to know more about cross-docking and how Tenaxx Logistics can help your business contact us today!
In LTL freight the volume of the shipment isn’t enough to fill the entire area of the truck or carrier. Freight between 150 lbs to 10,000 lbs is transported by LTL carriers. If your freight is above 10,000 lbs, you need to transport it by FTL carriers.
In LTL shipping, freight from multiple shippers is transported in the same freight container. Thus, LTL considered as a secure, quick and cost-saving alternative of FTL carriers.
Here we mentioned some guidelines which you should know before moving the shipment through LTL freight.
1. The first important task is to calculate the total weight of the freight and carefully examine its size and dimensions. Find out about your LTL freight class and NMFC (National Motor Freight Classification) number, which states the type of freight, is necessary to determine the shipping cost.
2. Search for a good LTL freight carrier in your town. You will get a long list of a logistics company to choose from.
3. Find the rate quote of selected logistics companies and compare the prices. Nowadays, most of the companies use standard freight rate quote application where you can submit the information about your freight and you will get an estimated price.
4. If you need any additional facility which does not cover by the standard freight shipping procedure, you are liable to pay ‘accessorial fees’ incurred by LTL carriers.
5. Prepare your freight as per the guideline of your LTL freight shipping company before the shipping date. The pick-up and delivery of the shipment should be time punctual as it is highly important in business. Thus, it is recommended to choose a logistics company with ample experience in LTL freight shipment like Tenaxx Logistics. Follow the LTL freight shipping guidelines when you are about to prepare your freight.
6. Ask the service provider company whether they provide shipment tracking service or not. Regardless if you want to ship freight across the country or outside the country, tracking service is a necessity.